Wednesday, May 4, 2011

I am a proud American but I do not cheer this week

You would think a conservative, Don't Tread On Me type of American would rejoice at the recent demise of the man we've come to know as UBL. I didn't hear the news until Monday morning. Quite honestly, I was horrified at the cheering in our American streets. This is not a ball game. This is real life and as much as some people would like it to be, it is not the end of anything, except one man's life.

I agree, it had to be done. I was proud of the team who went in there. It was surely a tough job. Our military is the finest in the world. My issue was the circus in the streets that ensued after the announcement of UBL's death. I don't understand people anymore. Just proves once again, I have moved from the top of the hill and am moving down the other side. I see and feel things differently than I did even 10 years ago when our country changed on that fateful day that UBL was responsible for, among his other atrocities. Yes, we triumphed, for the moment, but I fail to see how chanting U-S-A is appropriate. I was personally uncomfortable. It didn't feel right to me. In the words of my daughter-in-law, it just felt weird seeing the jubilation in the streets of NYC and Washington over the death of someone, even someone as horrible and evil as UBL.

No comments:

Post a Comment